The Witcher wiki now has a light themed alternative for the wiki skin. To check it out, go to Special:Preferences, then choose the "Appearance" tab and click on the radio button next to "Hydra".
The Witchers' medallion is a silver symbol of the witchers' profession. It is sensitive to magic, vibrating and tugging on its chain when spells are being cast or magical beings, like genies, are present. This magic medallion shaped like a wolf's head is given to every young witcher candidate who has passed the Trial of the Grasses. The origin of the first medallions is unknown, though it is assumed they were made in the magic forge at Kaer Morhen. The medallions vibrate in response to magic in all its forms, including curses, charms and spells. They also warn of lurking monsters born of magic or magic experimentation.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- According to Geralt in the short story A Grain of Truth, no monster can touch a witcher's medallion.
- Leo Bonhart boasts a collection of three witcher medallions: a cat, a griffon and a wolf. After Bonhart's death in The Lady of the Lake, Ciri claims the cat medallion for herself and gives the wolf one to Geralt (whose own original medallion was destroyed near the end of The Tower of the Swallow).
- In The Voice of Reason, part 4, Geralt refers to his as "the Sign of the Wolf's School".
- The design of the wolf's head has changed with each The Witcher game
- A wolf's-head keychain was part of the packaging for some editions of the original game.
In The Witcher computer game[edit | edit source]
If the medallion is tuned to detect monsters, it will vibrate whenever a monster is near. When the monster is very close, there will also be a red haze around the left side of the screen, and the medallion will vibrate quite violently.
If the medallion is tuned to detect magic, then it will vibrate in the same manner when in proximity to a Place of Power.
The medallion emits an audible vibration when in the presence of magic. It can be used when energized, as indicated by a pulsating yellow aura. Using the causes the medallion to highlight items such as herbs, monsters, monster remains and containers in orange, and Circles of Power in red; this function is extremely helpful in cluttered and overgrown areas. Surrounding the medallion are the player's various level indicators: