The Witcher wiki now has a light themed alternative for the wiki skin. To check it out, go to Special:Preferences, then choose the "Appearance" tab and click on the radio button next to "Hydra".
|Vilgefortz of Roggeveen|
Fan art by Tanya Anor
|Druid, mercenary, sorcerer|
|Druids of Koviri Circle|
Chapter of Wizards
Vilgefortz of Roggeveen was a mage and a member of the Chapter of Sorcerers, described by Yennefer as "young" (which, among mages, meant "up to one hundred years"), but "incredibly talented". He is described as being very handsome and possessing a lovely voice.
|“||"(...) Observe the man escorting her. He's Vilgefortz of Roggeveen and he really is young. But incredibly talented."
In the case of sorcerers, as Geralt knew, the term 'young' covered any age up to and including a hundred years. Vilgefortz looked thirty-five. He was tall and well-built, wore a short jerkin of a knightly cut - but without a coat of arms, naturally. He was also fiendishly handsome. It made a great impression, (...)
— pg(s). 117, Time of Contempt (UK edition)
In fact, he was not only incredibly ambitious and power-hungry, but also secretly in league with Emhyr var Emreis, the Imperator of Nilfgaard. This had begun many years before the wars, while Emhyr was still hiding under the alias of Duny. Vilgefortz's thirst for unlimited power brought him to the conclusion that he needed Ciri's, Duny's daughter's, blood in order to claim her powers because she is a descendant of Lara Dorren.
On Thanedd Island, he (among others) was accused of treason and put in dimeritium shackles. However, due to actions of Tissaia de Vries (who was acting only in a manner she considered fair and impartial) he broke free and tried to capture Ciri (severely wounding Geralt in the process) at the behest of the Imperator of Nilfgaard, but she fled through the portal in Tor Lara. Afterwards he hid in his castle, continuing his schemes to find and capture the girl. To that end, he captured and tortured Yennefer for an extended period of time.
In The Witcher computer game[edit | edit source]
- In the Prologue, Lambert says that Geralt has "killed a few (sorcerers) in (his) time", possibly alluding, amongst others, to Vilgefortz.
- Later in the Prologue, if Geralt fought Savolla, he can ask Triss what she thought of the unfamiliar mage. Her reply includes the line "we might soon be facing another Vilgefortz." When Geralt's reaction is merely "Who?", she tells him to forget about it.
- Zoltan also invokes the name of Vilgefortz during a conversation with Geralt in Chapter II.
- Elder Blood is an in-game book attributed to him.
- At the end of Chapter V Azar Javed says:"This time you pissed into a tornado". This was a quote from Vilgefortz.