|can call for wolven reinforcements|
Bestiary entry[edit | edit source]
- Ulfhedinn? What's that, some kind of fish?
- — Professor Artibus Joannes Rack, geographer, disappeared during a surveying expedition in Skellige
- Ulfhedinn are a breed of werewolf found mainly in Skellige. The harsh and barren conditions of the isles might explain why they primarily hunt men and are stronger than their Continental brethren. Older and particularly dangerous ulfhedinn are called vorefs. Only a few daring warriors in all of Skellige history have managed to defeat an ulfhedinn, and each of them is commemorated in ballads as a hero to this day.
- Like werewolves, ulfhedinn and vorefs are active at night, particularly when the moon is at its fullest. Fast, strong and amazingly resilient, these creatures kill with distrubing ease. Silver blades should be brought against them, as should Devil's Puffball. Take note that when near death an ulfhedinn becomes particularly dangerous and will attack with doubled fury, while callong on wolves to come to its rescue.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- The name Ulfhedinn is probably the Icelandic name Úlfhéðinn which derives from two names: Ulf, meaning wolf; and Heðinn, meaning 'jacket of fur or skin'. Coincidentally, Ulfhedinn will be added to the Bestiary by reading In Beast's Clothing.