The Witcher wiki now has a light themed alternative for the wiki skin. To check it out, go to Special:Preferences, then choose the "Appearance" tab and click on the radio button next to "Hydra".
Talk:Y Dynan Bach Têgdwell
Are these folks really "Têgdwell" in the translation? It seems to me like the editor of the English edition did not press the space bar while typing "Y Dynan Bach Têg dwell here or there" or sth like this. — SMiki5five (talk) 22:06, 1 April 2018 (UTC)
- I'll check — Game widow ( talk ) 02:12, 2 April 2018 (UTC)
- It is indeed "Têgdwell" in the English version — Game widow ( talk ) 19:48, 2 April 2018 (UTC)
Could we rename the page then? It seems obvious to me that this is translator's or editor's oversight. We can add a note informing about the form used in translation and a redirection from the current name. — SMiki5five (talk) 09:03, 3 April 2018 (UTC)
- No, but feel free to put a note — Game widow ( talk ) 11:52, 3 April 2018 (UTC)
- I don't understand this decision honestly. Even if it wasn't a space bar omission, the first and superior creator of the Witcher world is Andrzej Sapkowski, not his translator. The translator's role is to translate the novel from its primary language – Polish in this case – not to randomly change names Elder Speech or Welsh names. And even if we count deliberate changes (though possibly also typos) like “Mil Trachta” –> “Mil Tracta” as some weird licencia poetica (translatorica?), there's about 100% chance that this particular change was not deliberate – because for Melitele's sake, what's the point in corrupting something meant to imitate archaic Welsh into some meaningless blend of letters?
- Clearly you find this frustrating, but for people who have only (and can only) read the English translation, using the original term is not helpful to them as they would look up what they find in the book. We can have a redirection from the original ("dwell-less") version to the page name as it is now and the possible error is described in the note. — Game widow ( talk ) 21:06, 4 April 2018 (UTC)
- Why not to do conversely and redirect Tegdwell to Teg-only? I see your point but... eh, it just seems so wrong :( — SMiki5five (talk) 21:53, 4 April 2018 (UTC)
Don't worry, Smiki, I have the same problem in German. The main entry is as the translation says it is. Then I make a redirect from the other spelling, and I write the original (Polish) name right behind the first word in the article. Sometimes I also make a note about the misstranslation (see "https://hexer.gamepedia.com/Wattwurm_(Kreatur)"). Another solution I don't see, too.— »»Dove«« (talk) 11:03, 6 April 2018 (UTC)
- I was being cautious — Game widow ( talk ) 15:21, 6 April 2018 (UTC)