Shaelmaar from the Emperor of Nilfgaard
|Shaelmaar from the Emperor of Nilfgaard|
The Monster of Tufo
|Rolling up into a ball and charging its target|
Greater blue mutagen
Powdered monster tissue
This shaelmaar was given to the Duchess Anna Henrietta by the Emperor Emhyr var Emreis. Guillaume de Launfal has sworn to bring its head to his lady love, Vivienne, but the young knight soon finds himself in trouble and must be rescued by the witcher.
After the fight, Geralt can either let the beast be killed or ask that it be spared.
Associated quests[edit | edit source]
Bestiary entry[edit | edit source]
- Gladiator fights in massive arenas are a popular form of entertainment in Nilfgaard. Usually the fighters are slaves specially trained for this purpose, yet at times the arena masters pit humans against monsters. The shaelmaar Geralt had to fight in the tourney grounds was a present from the emperor to his relative, Duchess Anna Henrietta. It had been caught while young and prepared for its ultimate purpose by Nilfgaardian trainers. That does not mean it was tame, however – in fact, its wildness and inborn ferocity had not been dulled one whit. Like all creatures of its species, it was blind but could unerringly pinpoint its opponents’ location using echolocation. The shaelmaar had thick armor and near impenetrable skin. It could also roll into a ball and charge its opponents. Its underbelly, however, was relatively vulnerable and became exposed when its charge failed.
- If Geralt kills the beast:
- In the end, though the fight was long and difficult, Geralt defeated the shaelmaar and, when the duchess called from the stands for him to finish the beast off, he duly dealt the final blow.
- If Geralt spares the beast:
- In the end, though the fight was long and difficult, Geralt defeated the shaelmaar and, when the duchess called from the stands for him to finish the beast off, he refused to kill the creature, not wanting to take a life merely to amuse a crowd.