Poker Face: Vergen
This article is too short to provide more than rudimentary information about the subject. You can help Witcher Wiki by expanding it.
|"Poker Face: Vergen"|
Poker Face: Vergen is a quest in Chapter 2 of The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings.
Walkthrough[edit | edit source]
Geralt must first defeat Cornelius Meyer and Bruno Biggs, two dwarves who are holed up in the smithy behind Haggard and the blacksmith. After which he can play the Innkeeper at The Cauldron. Then he can challenge Cecil Burdon. Finally, he can play Haggard, the blacksmith's apprentice.
Winning against the Innkeeper and Cecil gives you a fair deal of money but the game with the blacksmith's apprentice gives you another option besides orens. Either take the diagram for Red, Blue or Yellow meteorite.
Journal entry[edit | edit source]
- Geralt grew fond of playing dice poker and he started looking for other players just after arriving in Vergen. It turned out that there were many enthusiasts of the pastime there. Geralt met players at the inn, among them the innkeeper himself. He also heard that the elder, Cecil Burdon, and the local blacksmith's apprentice would never refuse a quick game. However the best players would not play just anyone. The witcher had to make a name by winning with the dwarves meeting at the smithy first.
- First come, first served. The witcher had to win one more game, and then he would be able to take part in league games.
- When two poker players had been completely outplayed, the gambling elite took note of Geralt. The witcher could face the innkeeper.
- The innkeeper hexed his dice, but his spells were for naught. Geralt went to challenge Cecil Burdon.
- The elder had more luck in politics than at dice. He lost shamefully, so Geralt had but one opponent remaining – the blacksmith's apprentice.
- Yet the blacksmith's apprentice lost too. I heard he cried his heart out, for it meant a substantial financial loss. However gamblers, just like honest historians, leave no room for sentiment. Thus glory to the witcher and shame on the defeated.
Bug - Play Dice Outside![edit | edit source]
Once you have beaten all four other opponents at dice in Vergen, you may finally play Haggard. There is only one problem, at night he retires to his hut (where he is even in early morning), trying to play him then and there will auto-fail without the game ever showing the dice board.
Fix: Meditate to early morning, let Haggard leave his home and sit down outside. Then and only then talk to him about playing dice. The dice game will proceed normally then.