The Witcher wiki now has a light themed alternative for the wiki skin. To check it out, go to Special:Preferences, then choose the "Appearance" tab and click on the radio button next to "Hydra".
Velerad, burgomeister of Vizima
Velerad is a noble who, as the city's burgomeister, governs Vizima, the capital of Temeria. In King Foltest's absence, Velerad holds the highest authority in the city. He was the one with whom Geralt negotiated the contract for lifting Princess Adda's striga curse. He first appears in the short story "The Witcher".
In Michael Kandel's translation of the short story, his name was changed to "Ethmond".
In the Polish Movie and TV series[edit | edit source]
Episodes[edit | edit source]
- 08: Rozdroże
In The Witcher computer game[edit | edit source]
In the game, Velerad enjoys the distinction of being the burgomeister of Vizima. He can be found on the ground level of the guardhouse in the Trade Quarter after Gold Rush. The rumors flying around town suggest that he is ineffective in his role and spends most of his days drinking. Or perhaps this is simply the appearance he wishes to maintain.
He is a confidant of Princess Adda and knows about most of the goings on around town, despite what the citizenry considers evidence to the contrary.
In the Polish version of the game, he is voiced by Paweł Szczesny. His English voice actor is unknown.
Associated quests[edit | edit source]
Journal entry[edit | edit source]
- Velerad governs Vizima, the capital city of Temeria. In Foltest's absence, Velerad holds the highest authority in the city. The burgomeister knows me from long ago, since he was the one with whom I negotiated the contract for lifting Princess Adda's striga curse. Although I don't remember Velerad, I have a vague feeling that he has grown old and taken to drink since we first met. People say that Velerad has lost his authority and doesn't run the city as efficiently as he used to.
- The burgomeister seemed glad to see the striga problem solved. He told me his hands were tied and he could not help me find those guilty of reactivating the curse. I got the impression that Velerad cannot handle the situation now that a rebellion has engulfed Vizima.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- For the most part, Velerad is not available to discuss his contracts while either A Posh Reception or Gold Rush (which may immediately follow) are active.
- Technically, Geralt can sneak out during the banquet and see him at the guardhouse as well. (As of Patch 1.4, this may only be possible near the end of A Posh Reception, after the guests leave, but before you talk to Leuvaarden again.)
- Also, if Geralt helps the elves during the bank robbery, since the Enhanced Edition, Velerad becomes decidedly hostile (will not consent to a game of poker dice). He did not with previous patches.
- Despite his minor role, he is one of the few characters to appear in all of the following: a short story, the graphic novels, The Hexer TV series and The Witcher computer game.
- In The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, a soaked letter addressed to him can be found in White Orchard.