Mousesack in The Witcher 3
|Hierophant of the Skellige Circle|
|Druid, advisor to Bran, Calanthe and Crach|
|Northern Realms / Islander|
Mousesack (Polish: Myszowór, known as Ermion in The Witcher 3) is a skilled and intelligent druid, a good friend and advisor to King Bran of Skellige, as well as of Queen Calanthe of Cintra. He has a thickset and robust appearance and wears a bushy beard.
In the Bogusław Polch comics series[edit | edit source]
Mousesack was the son of Manissa, a witch in the service of Fregenal, who was killed in self-defence by Korin (the future father of Geralt). Mousesack's father left Manissa when he was a small child. Not knowing that the warrior killed his mother, the young Mousesack befriended Korin and the druid Visenna, who took him to the druid circle of Mayena ("Droga bez powrotu").
Even though, due to the plotting of mages and the king, the Mayena Circle was destroyed, Mousesack and two older druids were invited by the king to a witcher tournament which was to take place at a special arena. When the tournament turned into a massacre of witchers of the Schools of the Wolf and the Cat, Mousesack helped Geralt, his childhood friend, escape ("Zdrada").
Mousesack was opposed to the arguments of Eltibald and Stregobor during a council of wizards in which he took part, when they argued in favour of considering the children born in the year of the Black Sun monsters ("Mniejsze zło").
Even though Mousesack appears in three of the six graphic novels by Maciej Parowski and Bogusław Polch, none of them was actually based on any of the (print) short stories in which he appeared (two of them were based on other short stories, while one was a story original to the comic). In his graphic novel appearances, he was younger than in the short stories in which he features, and does not yet have his beard. Also, no ties with Skellige were mentioned, although it is possible that he moved to Skellige after the destruction of the Mayena Circle.
In The Witcher computer game[edit | edit source]
Mousesack does not make an appearance, but he is mentioned by the Hierophant in the Druids' grove in Chapter III. The Hierophant tells Geralt that he knows the witcher via one of his poker partners, their "mutual friend, Mousesack".
Journal entry[edit | edit source]
- Most druids on Skellige differ from the deeply rooted Continental stereotype of a graybearded old man in white robes bowing before sacred oaks, taming wyverns and pestering local lords with petitions to add yet another species to the list of protected beasts. Ermion, Geralt's old acquaintance, was no exception in this regard.
- This stiff-bearded, spindly man was the leader of the Druids' Circle in Skellige. He was also Jarl Crach an Craite's advisor on matters of magic and they mystical, as well as on any and all issues requiring more refinement than a will-timed uppercut or a hard-swung axe.
- Ermion was knows to be obstinate and to have a tendency, quite rare in Skellige, to consider all possible consequences of a particular course of action before it was undertaken. All this meant conversing with him demanded a considerable amount of time and patience.
- Given all this, one can hardly be surprised that Yennefer and Geralt's "rash" and "highly irresponsible" actions regarding the magic anomaly – stealing a priceless artifact from a private chamber being first among them – put Ermion quite out of sorts.
- However, despite his difficult character and his somewhat testy relationship with Geralt, Ermion agreed at once to travel to Kaer Morhen and help defend Ciri from the Wild Hunt's forces.