Gamepedia was upgraded to MediaWiki version 1.31 on Wednesday November 14th. To learn more about the upgrade and its effects click here.
A Cockatrice is an ornithosaur, also known as a "skoffin" or "kurolishek".
Associated quests[edit | edit source]
Bestiary entry[edit | edit source]
- Had meself eight heifers, five of 'em milchers. Then this cockatrice sprung up nearby, and now all's I got left's dried patties in an empty field.
- — Jethro, peasant from Pindal
- Foolish superstitions claim cockatrices, like basilisks, can kill with their gaze alone. That is utter nonsense, however, a cockatrice's gaze being no more dangerous than that of an angry goose. One should instead watch out for it's sharp beak and long tail, which it can whip to murderous effect.
- Cockatrices thrive in dark caves, abandoned ruins, cobwebbed dungeons and old basements. Though small compared to griffins and manticores, they are more than capable of killing anyone who stumbles across them in a dark corridor.
- Cockatrices do not shun direct fights, in which they strike furiously with wing and tail in an attempt to exhaust their foes. Blows from their beaks are especially dangerous, as they aim with deadly precision at exposed flesh and vital organs and leave bleeding, life-threatening wounds. When fighting them one should make liberal use of draconid oil as well as Grapeshot, whose shrapnel will pierce their delicate wings with ease.
Video[edit | edit source]
In The Witcher computer game[edit | edit source]
|Cockatrices nest in caves and dark cellars|
|High resistance to poisons; difficult to knock down|
|Sensitive to silver and Ornithosaur Oil|
|A cockatrice tries to surprise its opponent, strike suddenly and poison him with its venom|
Journal Bestiary Entry[edit | edit source]
- "Cockatrices are born of eggs laid by roosters consorting with other roosters. The egg must be incubated for forty-four days by a toad, which is devoured by the little beast as soon as it hatches. A cockatrice hates everything that lives so fiercely that its glance turns the living to stone. Only a bold adventurer with a mirror can deflect its deadly gaze and defeat the cockatrice."
Location[edit | edit source]
Sources[edit | edit source]
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Their remains will not contain their feathers until you have this bestiary entry.
- The Beast of the Sewers encountered as part of the Prison Break quest is a Greater cockatrice, and therefore different from the creature described above. It is also one of the two trophy quests in Chapter II, and the only story-required trophy quest in the whole game.