Hello there! We are conducting a survey to better understand the user experience in making a first edit. If you have ever made an edit on Gamepedia, please fill out the survey. Thank you!
|primeval highlands, unreachable mountain summits|
The griffin (also "Gryphon" or "Griffon") is a creature with the body, legs, and tail of a lion and the head, wings, and talons of an eagle.
|“||The griffin looks like a combination of a ferocious cat and a giant bird. It usually inhabits primeval highlands and builds its nests on unreachable mountain summits. The griffin preys on large mammals and, being a highly territorial creature, fiercely defends its hunting grounds. When the first colonists appeared and trade routes expanded, griffins were known to attack settlers and merchants in defense of their territory. Griffins are tough opponents and their strength should not be underestimated. Obstinate and aggressive, they make deadly use of their ability to fly during combat, swooping down on their enemies, knocking them to the ground and ripping them to shreds with their claws and beak.||”|
|― Official description.|
- The griffin is a hybrid, a cross between an enormous cat and a bird of prey. According to some researchers it is one of the creatures that arrived during the Conjunction, whereas others claim it is a native species that appeared in this world long before that event. Due to the paucity of sources from this (...) 
Reading the book Heraldic Animals provides a bestiary entry for griffins.
Bestiary entry[edit | edit source]
- Aye, half-eagle, half tomcat, just like on the lord's crest. 'Cept this 'un was carryin' me dead cow 'stead of a scepter.
— Griffin attack witness, name unknown
- Griffins were once only found high in the mountains, where they would hunt marmots and wild goats. When humans encroached on their lands, however, griffins soon discovered a new source of much more plentiful and easier-caught prey: cows, sheep and shepherds. Though still wary of main roads and towns (where fold with the means to hire a witcher are like to dwell), these half-eagle, half-wildcat creatures have gone from rarities to oft-encountered pests known throughout the Northern Realms. Especially hated are the subspecies known as royal griffins and archgriffins.
Associated quests[edit | edit source]
- The Beast of White Orchard
- Contract: The Creature from Oxenfurt Forest
- Contract: The Griffin from the Highlands
- Unlucky's Treasure
A griffin can cross your path in The Witcher Adventure Game. This creature is very hard to defeat (level: Gold).
To defeat them you need:
Successful Sword: Receive 2 VP and 1 Oren.
Failed Sword: Suffer 1 Heart and 1 Poisoned Heart.